Dispute Resolution is one of the most dynamic and challenging areas of our practice.
Post 1990, Romania embarked on a process of modernisation aimed at bringing its institutions and laws in line with European standards and expectations. This process very much resembled a roller coaster ride. The justice system, and especially the courts, managed, somehow, to carve their way forward through countless legislative reforms, allegations of corruption and incompetence, overcrowded courtrooms and political influence.
Our Dispute Resolution team experienced this entire process first-hand, which puts them in a unique position to help companies navigate the uncertainties of the most complex contentious matters.
We are strong, whether acting for claimants or defendants, strategic in the way we approach litigation and always seek to find the best possible outcome in the shortest possible time. We advise on all types of disputes, both nationally and internationally, representing clients in international arbitration (including ICC and ICSID) as well as in local matters.
Our firm offers advice on corporate and commercial litigation, real estate litigation, labour conflicts and employment litigation, insurance and transport contract disputes and professional negligence.
Our Relevant Experience
- Advised London Partners in connection to the opening procedures of the insolvency against AYKA Construction related to the contractor agreement for the residential SOHO project.
- Advised local subsidiaries of AEW Europe with respect to litigation and insolvency matters pertaining to the operation and lease of an office building located in Bucharest (Victoriei Square – 27,000 sq.m.), and a shopping mall located in Targu Mures (51,350 sq.m.).
- Advised the Intercora Group with respect to litigation and insolvency matters pertaining to the operation and lease of their asset portfolio, including an insolvency claim against DOMO and a civil claim against PROGES.
- Advised Complexul Multifunctional Victoria, a local subsidiary of AEW Europe and owner of the America House Building, with litigation and insolvency matters involving the operation and lease of an office building located in Bucharest (Victoriei Square – 27,000 sq.m.)
- Advised and represented Vinarte, a top Romanian wine producer, throughout the reorganisation of an insolvent company, including advice with respect to financing and rescheduling of the company’s distressed finances, as well as with distressed sales and the acquisition of assets.
- Advised in all facets of the expropriation process to ensure that Imobiliar Barcelona SRL received appropriate compensation for all aspects of the expropriation.
- Advised Alpha Construct SRL, a top construction company in Bucharest, in respect of litigation regarding FIDIC contractual matters arising from a construction agreement with a local public authority, following a public procurement procedure.
- Advised an association, formed by important Romanian and Spanish companies active in the construction and engineering sector, in a court case claiming damages from a Romanian authority incurred as a result of the execution of a public work contract for rehabilitation of the water supply network in mid-sized cities in Southern Romania.
- Advised World Class Romania SA, the largest and leading provider of fitness services in Romania, in litigation with The National Supervisory Authority for Personal Data Processing in Romania.