Costin brings 14 years of expertise in the field of banking and finance to our clients. His addition consolidates our top notch services in banking and finance and our ability to offer a complete array of top-notch services to our clients. Beginning with his early years at Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen and then with Bulboaca & Associates, Costin has worked with some of the most prestigious financial institutions and other businesses across a wide spectrum of regulatory and finance projects. He was deeply involved with financers and developers in several prominent project finance deals during the golden age of the Romanian real estate market before the financial crisis.
Costin’s clients have always been fond of his friendly and efficient way of working in conjunction with his insights into the economic and legal factors that drive each transaction. During 2013 and 2014, Mondelez International (a spin-off company from the giant Kraft Foods) requested that he temporarily take over the position of Legal Director and coordinate legal departments in eight jurisdictions (under a secondment arrangement) for almost 18 months. He brought this assignment to a successful completion and in the process, he further honed his skills as a trusted advisor to the CEO and top management.
In addition to his primary involvement in banking & finance, Costin maintains a secondary focus on competition law. He has participated in several well-known cases with positive results for clients such as Allianz and British-American Tobacco.
Costin graduated from the Faculty of Law of the Bucharest University in 2004 and started working immediately. At the same time, he attended the French-Romanian European Law college full-time and obtained his “maitrise en droit” from the prestigious university Paris I – Pantheon Sorbonne in 2004. Outside the office, Costin is a passionate photographer who supports young talents by offering them guidance and full access to his studio.
Romanian - English - French
2004 – Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Faculty of Law, University of Bucharest
2004 - Maitrise, Droit, Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne
I. BANKING AND FINANCE
- He advised a multi-billion family owned group in what was seen as one of the most complex acquisitions of portfolios of non-performing mortgage and corporate loans from Piraeus Bank Romania with a value in the hundreds of millions of euros. Costin has played a significant role in structuring the transaction. He drafted the entire documentation and led negotiations on all legal matters that led to a successful completion. During the preparation phase, he coordinated the team of 10 – 12 lawyers that performed a full due diligence review on many items in the portfolio. Following the deal’s completion in October 2015, he continued to assist the client in negotiating various deals(from debtor settlements to hostile sales to third parties that have involved more than half of the assets in the portfolio.
- He assisted one of the top italian banks in a very demanding project to establish a joint venture between the bank and the Romanian Post, at the latter’s initiative, by pooling the bank’s expertise and resources and Romanian Post’s presence with more than 6,000 offices to offer basic banking services in most rural areas. Although the project was not implemented in the end, it required in-depth legal research of several areas of law and meetings with the National Bank of Romania during a months-long effort.
- He advised a top French Bank about the regulatory regime under the Payment Services Directive.
- He assisted Piraeus Bank Greece regarding the security structure for a financing arrangement with a metallurgy group of companies, worth more than EUR 100,000,000, including a mortgage over shares in a public company.
- He advised a top Austrian bank about structuring, preparing, and negotiating transaction documents for a EUR 22,000,000 credit to for the development of an aluminum plant in Arad county. After the initial closing, he continued to assist the client with several amendments to the original transaction.
- He advised a top Romanian bank about structuring, preparing, and negotiating transaction documents for, a EUR 24,000,000 credit offer to one of the major players in the food market for the development of state-of-the-art cold storage facilities.
- He advised a top Romanian bank about structuring, preparing, and negotiating transaction documents for a credit offer for the development of a wind farm.
- He advised a top Greek bank in relation a EUR 75,000,000 credit offer to finance the acquisition of a 50% participation in the capital of a local developer of several large retail centers and shopping malls.
- He advised a top Greek bank about restructuring of the EUR 80,000,000-plus credit offer for the development of one of the largest residential projecta in Bucharest, and the subsequent adjudication of the project and transfer to an off-shore SPV.
- He advised an Austrian bank about restructuring a EUR 27,000,000 loan granted for the development of an industrial park near Bucharest.
- He advised an Austrian bank about structuring, preparing, and negotiating the transaction documents for a EUR 19,000,000 credit offer to an Israel-based developer for the construction of a shopping mall.
- He advised a top Greek bank and its Romanian subsidiary about structuring, preparing, and negotiating transaction documents for a EUR 48,000,000 credit offer to an Israel-based developer for the construction of a shopping mall in Constanta. The transaction was structured as a club deal that also involved another two banks.
- He assisted an international financial corporation about a EUR 10,000,000 credit offer to a Romanian company in the glass market.
- He advised a multi-national group active in the production of refrigerators about a highly complex financing and refinancing transaction of several hundred million euros secured with a full set of corporate guarantees and real security interests.
- He assisted an Israel-based developer about a credit offer of more than EUR 60,000,000 for the development of a residential project in Bucharest.
- He assisted a real estate group about financing transactions for the development of several office buildings in Bucharest, each in the range of tens of millions of Euros.
II. COMPETITION LAW
- Competition law training sessions. He trained senior management and sales executives and provided them with an increased awareness of the importance and challenges of competition law. His efforts prompted several of his clients to request detailed training sessions about competition law.
- Allianz Ţiriac Asigurări de Viaţa. He assisted and represented the company in the Competition Council’s cartel case. He was responsible for analyzing, preparing, and sustaining the company’s defenses at the official hearings. This was one of the very few cartel cases in Romania where no fine was applied, contrary to recommendations in the statement of objections.
- He assisted one of the largest tobacco companies with the Competition Council cartel and price fixing investigation by providing a devil’s advocate exercise to objectively assess the merits of the case and build effective defenses against the Competition Council’s allegations. After significant efforts over a five-year span, the investigations were closed without charges against the company.
- Dafora. He assisted the client in the Competition Council’s cartel case. He helped construct the client’s defenses (in a very short time due to late engagement), and he presented the defenses during the official hearings. His efforts resulted in a significant fine reduction; i.e., to less than 30% of the initial amount proposed in the statement of objections.
- He directed a mock dawn-raid at a client’s premises (a telecom company) to assess how company personnel would react to an unannounced inspection by the Competition Council and identify potential risk areas. After the mock raid, he conducted a training and Q&A session.