Florin brings to the firm the knowledge and skills of a very experienced litigator and advocate. He has nearly 20 years of experience in litigation with an emphasis on corporate and commercial, mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance, and energy disputes.
Prior to joining our firm, Florin Dutu has been a partner at Voicu & Filipescu, where he has served as the head of the firm’s litigation and arbitration practice. Previously, he was a partner with CMS Cameron McKenna in Bucharest, he served as Co-Head of Dispute Resolution and before that, he was a named partner and deputy managing partner at Stefanica Dutu & Partners.
Florin has been a member of the Bucharest Bar since 1999.
Florin brings very considerable experience both professionally on client matters and also in the management of dispute resolution groups so as to enhance the structure and direction of an already highly skilled consistently high performing team.
Romanian - English
1998 – Law School – University of Bucharest
- Member of the legal team which successfully defended the Romanian State in front of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) in the arbitration case filed against the client by Spyridon Roussalis for claims in amount of USD 151 million arising out of the claimant’s purchase of shares in a large frozen food warehousing facility from the Romanian government’s privatization authority AVAS.
- Romanian legal team coordinator assisting EDF Services before the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) in a USD 110 million claim against the Romanian state, for damages caused by the abusive loss of contracts for duty-free sales in a Bucharest international airport and in-flight sales on Tarom aircrafts and breach of international economic treaties and bilateral agreements related to investments.
- Assisted American investor Noble Venture in front of the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) in an arbitration case filed by the client against the Romanian privatization agency in connection with post-privatization claims in amount of USD 143 million arising from breach of the Romanian-USA Bilateral Investments Treaty.
- Assistance to a series of clients on international arbitration cases, including several FIDIC based constructions related projects, with rendered services ranging from extensive assessment of potential disputes to be settled by means of arbitration, to representation in all phases of the arbitral proceedings settled under various international arbitration rules.
- Successfully assisted several Italian and Romanian investors while acting as respondents in an arbitration case filed against the clients in front of Vienna International Arbitral Centre for claims in amount of EUR 8 million arising from alleged breach of the sale and purchase agreement afferent to a share deal regarding a major constructions company.
- Legal team coordinator assisting the Bank of Cyprus and two senior officers of the client in the criminal investigations conducted by the Romanian Directorate for Investigating Organized Crime and Terrorism (DIICOT) for alleged market manipulation, insider trading and transfer of privileged information in the share deal regarding Transilvania Bank. The court decision ruled in this case is an instrumental success for the client, as it represents one of the most important court decisions ever ruled in Romania in connection with a capital market related dispute.
- Assistance to Printec Romania Group, a transaction automation market leader in Eastern Europe and a major IT&C solution provider and developer, in a dispute for the annulment of the Tax Decision issued by the National Agency for Tax Administration amounting to approximately Euro 300,000.
- Assisted Metro Cash & Carry Romania, Romanian division of the Metro AG, German global diversified retail and wholesale/cash and carry group, in a series of commercial and employment disputes.
- Assistance on a considerable number of public procurement related disputes – representing bidders and lenders in complaints filed both with the National Council for Solving Complaints (CNSC) as well as with the courts of justice against procurement procedures and awarding decisions of the contracting authorities.
- Assisted clients include Romanian market energy player Romelectro and specialist bank for the public sector in the EEC Dexia Kommunalkredit Austria AG, with a total consideration of the disputed awards in the range of hundreds of million EUR.
- Assisted UPC, one of the leading cable TV, internet access and telecom operators active on the Romanian market, before Romanian courts in a series of more than 20 litigation cases initiated against the client by the Romanian Customers Protection Agency.
- Assisted Connex (currently Vodafone), the second largest mobile phone operator on the Romanian market, on debt recovery issues pertaining to over 10,000 client accounts each year, for a total duration of five years. Rendered services included assessing the optimal legal procedures for debt recovery, from notice sending, representation in court files, insolvency procedures and enforcement procedure.
- Project coordinator for EUR 300 million loan granted by Dexia Kommunalkredit Austria AG to the Romanian Ministry of Public Finance for new aircrafts acquisition by Romanian national airline, Bucharest –Baneasa and Bucharest – Constanta partial railway rehabilitation, national security border equipments acquisition.