George is a Managing Associate with extensive experience in the fields of IT & telecommunications, data protection, banking and finance as well as aviation and shipping.
Never one to adopt a "one size fits all" mentality, George has continually adapted to changing market dynamics and has consequently advised, and assisted, foreign and domestic clients on a wide range of issues including telecoms regulatory changes, data protection audits, banking regulatory requirements, structured financing, distressed asset financing and aircraft leasing and financing transactions.
His commercial, solutions-based approach means he is equally at home advising both public and private companies, national and international. He also has particular experience in the highly regulated area of electronic money issuing and payment services. George brings a wealth of experience to our firm, enabling him to provide clients with practical and commercial advice on the key issues involved in structuring and documenting their transactions.
Additionally, George has significant experience in the capital markets sector, notable transactions he has been involved in the dual listing on the Bucharest Stock Exchange and the London Stock Exchange GDRs of Romania’s national gas company, and the two programmes of international bond issuing launched by one of the global leaders in the Ice Cold Merchandisers (ICM) market.
Before joining our team, George was part of the banking regulatory and compliance team of one of the Big Four companies, as well as working for other well-known leading law firms in Romania.
With a unique professional background and skill set, George shares his clients’ vision for change and helps them design and build the best vehicle to deliver that vision to the world.
Romanian – English – French
2017 - PhD in law
Bucharest University of Economic Studies
2011 – Master in Business Law (LL.M.)
Faculty of Law , University of Bucharest
2010 – Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.)
Faculty of Law, University of Bucharest
IT & Telecom
- advised SIBS on the acquisition of Wirecard companies in Romania, namely Wirecard Romania (previously Provus Service Provider), Romcard and Supercard Solutions & Services.
- Advised, for the last 7 years, one of the largest communication technology companies in the world with its regulatory and reporting obligations in Romania.
- Advised a large client in connection with the legal framework for implementing a private telecommunications system in Romania.
- Advised in connection with the provision by Disney of digital content in Romania via EU established entities, including reviewing and assisting on matters such as data protection, e-commerce, consumer protection, media and advertising.
- Advised a company administrating a subterranean telecommunication network in a dispute where the client had requested the suspension, and annulment, of a telecoms decision issued by the regulating authority regarding subterranean telecommunication network activity developed in Bucharest.
- Advised a leading global professional services firm with a broad range of risk, retirement and health solutions in connection with the transfer of personal data outside the EU.
- Advised a global company acting in the field of fluid control equipment, pump, seal and valve manufacturing and climate and energy with the contractual framework related to the transfer of personal data to India.
- Advised a large communication technology company in relation to breaches of its personal data policy and the possible methods of dealing with such breaches when they occur.
- Prepared the entire contractual framework conected to the transfer, to the USA, of personal data resulting from clinical trials in Romania under the EU US Privacy Shield mechanism.
- Advised a large financial group with implementing its GDPR compliant data protection policy at group level, including identification of personal data flows and processes, mapping such processes and creating tailored data flow policies to ensure compliance with the new EU regulations.
Banking & Finance
- Advised Niro Investment Group on the completion of a financing amounting to EUR 24 million granted by Libra Bank.
- Advised a multibillion family owned group in what was considered to be one of the most complex acquisitions of non-performing mortgage and corporate loan portfolios from Piraeus Bank Romania with a value of hundreds of millions of euros.
- Advised in connection with a EUR 70 million medium term, secured bilateral loan to a full-cycle sales solution provider to assist the borrower in expanding its operations in Europe through organic growth and the acquisition of existing operations in the gaming industry.
- Advised a European venture capital fund in acquiring the non-performing loans of a local construction materials producer from a top Romanian bank and converting the debt into equity in the target company.
- Advised on the grant of a multimillion secured re-financing deal in the context of a debt re-scheduling of a large French oil and gas manufacturer.
Aviation & Shipping
- Advised in connection with the lease of certain aircraft engines to a Romanian operator, in particular regarding the means of security and enforcement, rights in aircrafts and aircraft parts and safeguarding the rights of the lessor under Romanian law.
- Advised in connection with repossession and deregistration issues regarding an aircraft leased to a Romanian operator.
- Advised on complex matters concerning registration and lex rei situ issues regarding a number of commercial aircrafts operated in Romania.